Friday, August 10, 2007

QuickMonth Calendar

There used to be a decent calendar that sat in your Windows taskbar and showed the current date, as well as providing an easily accessible calendar if needed. The problem is, it was associated with a company known for distributing adware, which is just annoying, but I found out how to disable the adware component and I installed it everytime I had to reinstall Windows on my system.

For whatever reason, I lost the installer for that little app and had to hunt a bit. This time I came up with DateInTray, which was happily free of adware and provided pretty much the exact same function. This has worked for me for a couple of years now.

Today, though, via LifeHacker, I discovered QuickMonth Calendar, which may just replace DateInTray as my standard. It's quite handly because it automatically pops up whenever you hover over the time on your Windows taskbar. It's also a bit prettier (no clunky border) than DateInTray, while providing a very similar calendar view. The one downside I see is that it doesn't actively show the current date in the system tray.

In any case, given one or the other a try - it's a far cry better than double clicking on the clock to bring up the set date option to see a calendar.

9 comments:

  1. ...or you could just use a REAL operating system that wasn't defective by design *cough*linux*cough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Jared, I'm posting from Ubuntu Feisty right now and I really want it to be the solution to all my computing needs, but the fact of the matter is, it's still too much work to do something as simple as sync my Palm or my Zen. Then there's the problem of Compiz, which I love and which gives Linux some of the great eye-candy OSx has and more, but which is still quite buggy. I'm going to be sticking with Linux in some capacity from here on out, I imagine, but it has a way to go before I'm comfortable *only* running it, and that's a major test for me as to what's a REAL OS. Sorry, but to claim that Linux is a real OS and Windows isn't is just as much fanboy crap as claiming that any smart, distinguishing computer user would choose a Mac over a Windows PC any day or that Macs suck because they don't do everything like the Windows systems most people learned to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cory introduced me to DateInTray some time ago and I have used it on all 5 of my major computers. Last night I downloaded and tried QuickMonth Calendar. It too looks like a very useful tool; however, it is kinda nice to see the active date in the system tray. I think I'd miss that. I really like QuickMonth Calendar though.

    Later

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt I'll ever switch to Linux...there are too many windows users out there that I associate with on a daily basis and it sounds like it really doesn't easily do all that I need it to do w/o major hassles. Once it becomes a real operating system (by my definition) I won't be switching soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should be UNLESS it becomes a real operating system (by my definition) I won't be switching soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. blah blah blah Linux blah blah Windows blah blah blah Apple blah blah

    That's what it sounds like to me! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my opinions...

    Linux benefits = free, more stable, less viruses, plus a knowledgeable user has more control over what the OS can and can't do.

    Windows benefits = more universal (which means more software is catered to it), easier for the average person to use and install (but in this point, I think Linux is only behind in public perception only).

    My vote is Linux is better. But I still need Windows.

    I think our next debate should be... Captain Kirk vs. Captain Picard? Any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If linux is better than why do you still need Windows? You see I'm ignorant with linux, but it's statements like this that lead me to want to stick with good ole windows my boy.

    ...and I am definitely for Captain Kirk. He is way better than Picard ever was or would hope to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a quick follow-up: being able to always see the date won out over a slightly better looking interface - DateInTray is once again my calendar app of choice.

    Oh, and ... Picard.

    ReplyDelete